Anyone who has seen the film “Sound of Music” knows the song “My Favorite Things”.
While I am not a huge fan of musicals, and in fact, kinda loathe them, as I couldn’t sit through “Mama Mia” and will not make the time to see “Moulin Rouge”, “Sound Of Music” has a special place in my heart. Perhaps it’s because I saw it as a kid, perhaps it’s because I like how strong Maria is, or maybe it just got to me when they had to run from the Nazi’s, but regardless, I do like it. I haven’t seen it in probably fifteen years but I was thinking about the song “My Favorite Things” today as I was cutting my film and I couldn’t help but smile when the song popped into my head. I mean, just read these lyrics:
When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I’m feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don’t feel so bad
Don’t you just want to get up and make clothes out of your curtains?***
Anyway, as I thought of this song, I started thinking about my favorite things and decided to write a blog about them. Below is a list of eleven (I like odd numbers) of my favorite things. Perhaps you may want to make your own list. Who knows, when you’re feeling sad, you may turn to your list and a smile will find its way upon your face…
***(inside joke for those who’ve seen the film)
“These are a few of my favorite things…”
1. My mother’s sneezes. She actually says “Ahh Choo, Ahh Choo”.
2. White sticky rice. I can eat it with just about anything, and at any time.
3. My Apple iMac – a portal for my cyber life and an excellent tool for all my filmmaking.
4. Talking about films with my brother and father. We have very similar tastes and can talk for hours about the films of Martin Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola, Michael Mann and Brian De Palma.
5. Chicken wings (I’m from Buffalo, it’s in my blood.)
6. Red wine (I’m Sicilian, it’s in my blood.)
7. Making people laugh when they don’t expect it.
9. My nephew’s need to close every door in the house and point out every candle.
10. My sister’s laugh.
11. Making films.