You probably don’t have time to read this either so I’ll get straight to the list…
1. Breathe. I know it sounds corny but it’s the quickest way to relax when your body starts to tighten up.
2. Do yoga anywhere. Sure, maybe from a distance it looks a little odd to see someone standing in tree pose as they wait for the bathroom but trust me, it feels better than not doing it (and you’re standing there anyway…)
3. Work outside. If it’s possible, do this every now and then. The fresh air will likely help.
4. Vent to yourself. Go into a bathroom or closet or anywhere you can get a moment to yourself and then let loose. Yell, curse, punch the air, make fists, do whatever you feel like. It’s cathartic and no one gets hurt. Also, it’s surprisingly relaxing once you’re done.
5. Drink water. Keeps you fluid ;)
6. Write. Putting one’s thoughts into words can be liberating. It also has a way of making them real and more easy to understand. Reading them a day or two later can also be a tremendous help to put things in perspective.
7. Laugh. Easier said then done, yes, but just make sure you’re open to the possibility…
8. Observe. Take a moment to look around, people watch, absorb your surroundings. You may be surprised at how relaxed you begin to feel.
9. Turn off your electronics. When did people start equating relaxing with being on their computer?
10. Sit down. Standing is very useful but give your feet a rest every now and then. It also helps to get the body out of a rigid position. (If you sit often, then I’d reverse this and stand up more, giving your feet some action.)
11. Close your eyes. Try it. Isn’t it calming?