Until the day I can support myself as a writer/filmmaker, I will have to work other jobs. That’s my reality and a choice I’ve made so I can go after the work I want. Long story short, I’ve chosen to work in restaurants, as a server, for many reasons but largely because I love food and wine and being a server in LA allows me a flexible schedule with short hours and high pay while I write and make films. Also, the people in that industry are by and far pretty damn cool and I’ve learned a lot. But right now, I’m in the middle of transitioning between restaurants and it got me thinking…
11 Ways To Deal With Stress While Switching Jobs
1. Be Respectful. Anger and resentment gets you nowhere and typically… it only makes matters worse.
2. Have a Plan. Yes, I know, if you want to make God laugh you should tell him your plans. Things happen. Plans change. But still, isn’t it better to have some guide rather than none during the process?
3. Schedule Sleeping and Eating. It’s easy to forgo sleep but so important not to. A body needs energy, especially if one has to do double duty for a bit.
4. Let those in your life know that you love them. More often than not, these are the exact people who get the brunt of your stress.
5. Know Why you’re doing what you are doing. If you don’t, question it until you do and then act accordingly.
6. Beginnings Are Temporary. Embrace that. It’s only a matter of time till it becomes less unknown.
7. 2nd Chance Time! Try things different this time around. Every beginning is also a new opportunity.
8. Leave vices at the door. Easy to run away with when times get hard but vices are temp solutions and trouble…
9. Keep Things in Perspective. Ask yourself – Is this life or death? No? Then, settle down…
10. Take 15 minutes and give it to yourself every day. This should be ALL ABOUT YOU and there is nothing wrong with that.
11. Breathe. It helps. It just does. And try closing your eyes while you’re at it… makes it even better!